Welcome!

INTRO POSTFAQ'sMY STORYPOST DIRECTORYTWITTERPINTERESTTUMBLR

Friday 7 August 2015

Emergency Services Day
at intu Trafford Centre


After my work with the Greater Manchester Police and Crime Commissioner last year, I receive regular e-mail updates regarding the work of my local police and emergency services to keep informed of the latest news and developments around my local areas of Salford and Manchester.

I was notified of an upcoming 999 Emergency Services Day, its fifth annual event to date, at intu Trafford Centre yesterday; so I thought I would pop along and learn more about our amazing community protectors, from firefighters to police, mountain rescue to the ambulance service!

Tents lined to entire Orient car park with models of police cars and fire engines, both old and new, open and available to sit inside of and sound the sirens! A children's fire engine, Volunteers, fundraisers and staff of each service were on hand to speak to and ask questions - and a there was even a live demonstration of the fire rescue team saving someone trapped inside a vehicle. I particularly enjoyed this as it was audio described by a member of the fire crew via a microphone and speakers, so his commentary could be heard across the car park and I knew what was happening despite not being able to have the visual clues that other sighted attendees would have.


Tami and I were like our own walking exhibition at the event; with photographers taking photos of us both and children lining up to stroke a working Guide Dog! There were huge crowds and distractions aplenty but Tami did a wonderful job guiding me through hundreds of people and we had a great time!

You can read more about the Emergency Services Day and the full list of displays here at the Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service website!