Welcome!

INTRO POSTFAQ'sMY STORYPOST DIRECTORYTWITTERPINTERESTTUMBLR

Thursday 20 February 2014

Interview with ITV Granada Reports

I was recently contacted by ITV to do an interview for their website and appear on Granada Reports. I did the filming yesterday morning with journalist Tim Scott and it aired in the evening on ITV at 6pm.

I've never been on television before, so I was extremely nervous to start with! Tim was really friendly though and quickly put my mind at ease. We discussed my eye condition, how I got into drawing, my illustrations for RNIB's Insight Magazine and my future plans for training for a guide dog and eventually wanting to do an art course at the Royal National College for the Blind.

You can view the video by clicking here or on the image below.

Transcript

Born virtually blind, much of Kimberley Burrows' childhood was spent on the operating table at Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital in London. Now, age 25, she can only see out of 10% of one eye but that hasn't stopped her from doing what she loves.

Kimberley: When I was little I just always loved drawing. When I was in the waiting rooms at Great Ormond Street they had pencils and paper, so I always did some doodling. At school, art was my favourite subject - I took it for my GCSE's and I got an A*. So it's just always something that I've loved.

Tim Scott: How much harder is it for you being partially sighted and doing these lovely illustrations? Is it really difficult? How does it work?

Kimberley: I can spend about 20 minutes at a time and I probably do about an hour every day. Each piece will take about a month to complete.

And now Kimberley's hard work is being repaid. She's been named as the Royal Institute for the Blind's Young Illustrator of the Year for their Insight Magazine.

Kimberley: I spent a month doing this piece (pictured) which was based on my next steps. I sent it by e-mail and it didn't take too long to get a response back and they said that I'd won.

Tim Scott: How did you feel when you won the competition?

Kimberley: I was just so happy I could have run around the house! I just couldn't believe that after spending a month on it, it paid off.

Tim Scott: What would your advice be to somebody who's blind or partially sighted who thinks "I can't possibly do this or that"?

Kimberley: You can do anything that you put your mind to. Just because you've got a disability doesn't mean you don't have the ability to do something. Any barrier can be overcome and your dreams definitely can come true!

Kimberley's dream is to study art at college and become a professional illustrator. With talent like hers, she'll probably succeed. Tim Scott, ITV News, Irlam.

Blind Woman from Irlam Wins Prestigious Art Award

Kimberley Burrows has not let her disability get in the way of her dreams - by Tim Scott, ITV Granada

Kimberley Burrows was born partially blind and she can only see a little out of one eye, but this has not stopped her pursuing her dream of being a full-time artist. She has now come one step further to her dream after being awarded the prestigious title of 'Young Illustrator of the Year' by RNIB's insight Magazine.

As a result, she will be producing artwork for the magazine throughout the year. Her winning illustration represented the next steps she intends to take in her life. This included training to have a guide dog, completing a braille course and a mobility course with a cane.

She took a month to complete this work as her condition means she can only draw for very short periods of time. She draws using pencil crayons and fine liners, and uses a Daylight lamp to help her with her sight.

"You can do anything you put your mind to. Just because you have a disability doesn't mean you don't have the ability to do something" - Kimberley Burrows, Artist


You can view my interview by clicking on the thumbnail above
or on the ITV News website here.